Duke Energy Carolinas announced today that it is abandoning plans to build the Lee Nuclear Station in light of the project's principal designer and contractor declaring bankruptcy. Duke's decision comes on the heels of SCANA Corp. and Santee Cooper abandoning construction on the $18 billion V.C. Summer expansion plan having already spent $9 billion on the project. "With the availability of cost effective generation from natural gas and solar and other technologies we’re able to meet our customers needs in the near term." "But nuclear will continue to be important for the company in our diverse energy mix, now and in future."
Latest from John Shanahan
- Ancient Indus civilization adaptation to climate change (Cameron Petrie lead author) UK
- Sea level rise ten cities (Dennis Hedke) USofA
- Brexit et nucléaire (Michel Guy et Gerard Petit) France French
- Tchernobyl autopsie des mensonges (Michel Gay) France French
- Fukushima et santé (Michel Gay) France French Français